|Me on my good day, standing in one of the square holes and hold the laser level stick. Notice the umbrella, in the middle back, protecting our coveted laser level beam.|
Alright, enough talk about that. The footers were no easy task - we had quite a few trial and error situations. In the photo above notice all the bowed wood - Chip put up wood on both sides of the perimeter only to have the wood bow after it got wet. In addition, we spent several times renting a tamper - I even rented it once and loaded it up in my sedan. The staff gawked about putting it inside my car as it was smelly because of the gasoline but it fit and the sun was out and the windows rolled down worked like a charm. Anyway, the first two times the item was rented we weren't even ready to use it by the time it need to be returned and the last time Chip didn't realize the dirt turned to powdery, avalanche-inducing dirt when the tamper started jumping so we spent a night watering the foundation and then tamping the following day and resolved to pay for a fourth rental fee. The rental company was generous enough to not charge us for that one.
|Transporting the tamper (behind me on the left side) in my sedan.|
Once Chip was satisfied with the digging, then he set the rebar (reinforced steel bars) in place.
|The foundation with rebar set in place.|
|The rebar laying on the outside will be standing upright when the concrete is poured and sets.|
|A close up look at the rebar in the perimeter.|
Form Boards: $285.63
Chip's coworker assisted: $300
Soil Test: $370.60
*Tools purchased not included in cost
P.S. After reviewing my post with Chip, he reminded me that I missed a big initial step: Excavating! Chip and his father spent a day excavated the site with the bull dozer. As The Floridian sit on a slope, areas of excavation in the front are about 3 feet deep with it tapering off to no additional excavation at the back of the house.
P.P.S Gosh, I'm missing more stuff! I didn't talk about layout - the truly first step. This means setting up what's called batter boards and stakes (i.e. 2x4's around the site) and stringing lines to determine where the excavation needs to occur and where the foundation and pillars will be. It must be noted, I did help here and contributed bobby pins to measure where our intersecting strings will be. A surprising, small thing occurred during this process - the dragonflies loved it!